Deduction under Section 80GG

Section 80GG of the Income Tax Act allows individuals a deduction for rent paid for furnished or unfurnished accommodation. The deduction is allowed to taxpayers who do not receive any HRA from their employer.

Following are the conditions to claim deduction on Rent paid u/s 80GG

  • Only an independent individual can claim deduction u/s 80GG
  • An individual can be salaried or self-employed
  • In the case of a salaried person, he should not be receiving House Rent Allowance (HRA) from an employer
  • For claiming a deduction, Form 10BA needs to be submitted with the IT Department
  • Assessee or his spouse or minor child or HUF of which he is a member should not own any residential accommodation at the place where he is residing/performing office duties under-employment/carrying business or profession
  • The assessee should not own a self-occupied house property at any place

You can read more about Section 80GG here

Got questions? Shoot’em

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Tax savings and deductions under chapter VI A

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Section 80GG: How business owners and freelancers can claim house rent deduction