Expenses a trader can claim

Hi @desa_mx123,

If you have incurred any expenses for trading purposes, you can claim those as valid business expenses while filing ITR and for which you need to maintain books of accounts in order to claim such.

Here’s you can read more about it.

Hi @desa_mx123

Adding to @Muskan_Balar point, books of accounts need not be maintained if you have opted for the presumptive taxation scheme.

Read more about Section 44AD - Presumptive Taxation for Business - Learn by Quicko.

Hope this helps.

Hi

Sorry for the delayed follow up question. I had purchased a laptop which I use for trading in FNO and other stock market related activities in the year September, 2019. I understand that as per the IT Act, depreciation on such items can be claimed over a period of 3 years which is computed based on which half of a year it was purchased. As the 3 year stipulation has ended for me, can I claim the remaining amount as depreciation for this asset?

Hello @gdshan,

There is no time limit mentioned for claiming depreciation. As per the income tax act depreciation can be claimed on an asset until the written-down value of the asset is nil after giving the effect of revaluation.

Hope this helps!

Hi

Is the depreciation, which I have been claiming till last FY, available if I choose the new tax regime. In case its not available, then all the carried forward depreciation and business losses stands excluded?

Hi

Please clarify on the above. Also, would short term and long term CG on stocks/MFs/debts continue to attract special rates?

Hi @gdshan,

For individual and HUF, if you have business income then you cannot set off brought forward business loss or unabsorbed depreciation under the new regime.
Also you cannot carry forward the same to the extent they relate to deductions/exemptions withdrawn in clause (i) of sub-section (2) of section 115BAC.

You can read about the Changes in Deductions and Exemptions under section 115BAC

Hope this helps!

Hi @gdshan,

STCG u/s 111A and LTCG u/s 112A which are taxed under special rates would continue to be taxed under special rates in New Tax Regime also.

Hope this clarifies!

I have bought a secondhand good laptop from a relative exclusively for trading purposes. i have paid the money via netbanking to him, but being secondhand there is no receipt for it, can i show this laptop on purchased value as asset bought for business and claim yearly depreciation on it?
please clarify,thanks

Hi @raj50098,

Yes, you can claim the laptop purchased as a business expense as depreciation as you have made the online transaction for purchasing the laptop.

Hope it helps.

thanks for clarifying

if i have income from intraday trading.
can i deduct brokerage, stamped duty, SEBI, Exchange Charges. in a New Income Tax Regime.

Hi @Aadil_Nakhwa

Expenses that are wholly and exclusively incurred in relation to the transfer of shares are allowed to be deducted from sales consideration even under the new regime. Expenses such as brokerage, stamp duty, sales commission, etc. can be claimed as an expense in your Income Tax Return. All these expenses are allowed as deductions only for the purpose of calculating the Capital Gains. However, Securities Transaction Tax (STT) is allowed as a deduction for business income.

Please clarify Brokerage and stampduty charged by broker should be shown as Expenses in Profit&Loss Account or in Trading Account as direct expense?
Thanks

Hi @raj50098

If trading is your primary source of income, then you can claim the brokerage & stamp duty charges as direct expenses in Trading Account.

Thanks for reply. Please tell
Should broker’s AMC charges and STT should be also shown in Trading Account or P&L Account.
Thanks

Hi @raj50098

Broker’s AMC charges can be shown as an expense in the Trading account.
A trader can claim STT paid as a valid business expense if he/she reports such income as a business income.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Please tell=
Can bank expenses such as Chequebook issue charges, and atm yearly charges be shown and deducted in P&L Account by the Trader?
thanks

Hi @raj50098

Expenses that are wholly and exclusively incurred in relation to the transfer of shares are allowed to be deducted from sales consideration.

Hi,

I have STCG which I need to add during ITR filing. But I am little confused on few of the things listed below :

• Can I deduct Brokerage Charge, Exchange Transaction Charges, SEBI Turnover Fees, Securities Transaction Tax and Stamp Duty from the STCG value ?

• Can I deduct DP charges from STCG value ?

If I can deduct then how to claim these deductions while filing ITR ?