The Income Tax Department processes the ITR and initiates the refund, only after it is verified successfully.
There are 6 different methods to verify your return:
- Aadhaar OTP
- Bank Account
- Demat Account
- Bank ATM
- Physical verification of ITR by sending a copy of ITR-V to CPC, Bangalore
In mid-March 2021, the ITD sent out emails to many tax-payers:
- From: ITR_status@cpc.gov.in
- Subject: Reminder for pending Verification of Income-tax for AY 2020-21
Did you receive this email too? Here’s what you need to do:
- If the ITR is filed with Tax Audit using your DSC, you can ignore the email since the ITR must be e-verified using the DSC.
- If you filed ITR without Tax Audit, make sure you E-verify your ITR. In case you have already e-verified, you can ignore the email.
You can check the status of your ITR using this tool: