ITR Form for foreign salary income

For an Indian resident that worked in 2 different companies in previous FY (while residing in India), one of which was foreign-based, which ITR form has to be filed and where to report both the salaries?

Foreign income specifics
  • Employment category - not freelancing/consulting work
  • Fixed annual salary paid monthly
  • Zero PAYG tax deducted by employer
  • Income below 50L
  • Salary calculation → 8 hrs * 22 days (hourly rate mentioned in payslip)

Is it ITR-1 since there is no foreign tax deducted or ITR-2 since the foreign salary could be reported under schedule FSI and both the salaries can be reported under Schedule S?

Hello @shereena_jose,

Any individual having any income from outside India can not file ITR 1. Also, as you’ve mentioned foreign salary needs to be reported under Schedule FSI. The total salary i.e. from India as well as foreign salary will be reported under Schedule Salary as well.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks @Bharti_Vasvani for your clarification.

Also, I have a doubt as to whether the ITR-2 form has to be filed only for income > 50L? Some reading indicated that the > 50L criteria does not apply to foreign income. I’d appreciate it if you could verify whether the income range matters when it comes to foreign income.

Thank you.

Hello @shereena_jose,

No, ITR-2 can be filed if Net taxable income is < 50 Lakhs.

Income range does not matter in case of foreign income.

Hope it helps!

1 Like