Old Tax Regime v/s New Tax Regime after Budget 2023

Hi @Saurabh_Ghosh

Yes, it is from the next FY (i.e., FY 2023-24/AY 2024-25) onwards.

Yes I’m taking about next year.

I won’t be taxable as per new regime and be eligible for full refund of ₹60,000 as per new regime.

Right?

Hi @Saurabh_Ghosh

If you’re talking about FY 2023-24 considering your total taxable income (there are no other incomes and deductions) is ₹6,00,000 from IFOS, which is taxable at the slab rate, your tax liability will be ₹15,600.

The bank has deducted a TDS of ₹60,000 (10% of ₹6,00,000). Then you will receive a refund of ₹44,400.

This difference is due to the change in the tax slab rates.

Hope this helps.

Isn’t ₹7,00,000 income barred from any tax from next year!

Hi @Saurabh_Ghosh

Yes, you’re right.
With income up to ₹7,00,000, no tax is payable as the rebate u/s 87A has been increased to 25,000 under the new tax regime.

Under business ITR 3 ; once i chose from old tax regime to new tax regime to old tax regime ; i can no longer then choose new tax regime for the lifetime !

But ; what if i choose ITR 2 OR 4 in later on ?

Then . In this case will i be able to choose the new tax regime then ?

@Shrutika_Shah
@Muskan_Balar
@CA_Niyati_Mistry

Hi @HIREiN

No, you will not be able to choose the new regime again in that case.

Is there any remedy if i want to choose the new tax regime ?

Hi @HIREiN

I don’t think so. It is so as per the law you can switch only once in a lifetime if you have income from business & profession.

yes . i know . it is for income from business & profession. i.e. ITR3 . right ?
but , what if ; later on ; if i switch myself from ITR 3 to ITR 1 or 2 or other ?
then . in that case ; won’t i be able to switch to the new tax regime ?

Hi @HIREiN

Yes, for ITR 3 only.
For ITR 1 & 2 you can switch regimes every year.

that’s what i asked :

if in ITR3 i had done switching between the old and new regimes .
so , now as per the law ; in ITR3 ; i can’t opt for the new regime !

BUT , i can opt the new regime if i move to ITR 1 or 2 or other ; except the 3 !

am i right ?

Yes, you are right @HIREiN.

Type of Income: Professional income.

We used the new regime u/s 115 BAC for AY 2021-22. Filled up form 10IE.

As we can opt out once, we filled up form 10 IE for opting out for AY 2022-23. So we opted for old regime for AY 2022-23 and AY 2023-24. We hoped to continue filing with old regime while claiming deductions, and also the fact that we are allowed to change the regime only once if we have professional/business income.

Now Govt updated the slabs in the recent budget and the new slabs(with less tax without deductions) look like a lucrative option. Can we opt for this new scheme for AY 2024-25 onwards?

Hi @tarun

The ITD is yet to give a clarification on this.

1 Like

Would you please update this thread if you get any news about clarification on this? Thank you! :smiley:

Sure @tarun, shall do so.

Is NPS contribution by the employer still deductible under the New regimen? Both NPS Tier 1 and Tier 2 are eligible ?

Hi @RaahulR

Employer’s contribution towards NPS Tier-I is eligible for tax deduction under Section 80CCD (2) of the Income Tax Act (14% of salary for central government employees and 10% for others) under the new regime. There is no tax benefit on investment toward a Tier II NPS Account.

1 Like

Hi @Shrutika_Shah,

Type of Income: Professional income.

We used the new regime u/s 115 BAC for AY 2021-22. Filled up form 10IE.

As we can opt out once, we filled up form 10 IE for opting out for AY 2022-23. So we opted for old regime for AY 2022-23 and AY 2023-24. We hoped to continue filing with old regime while claiming deductions, and also the fact that we are allowed to change the regime only once if we have professional/business income.

Now Govt updated the slabs in the recent budget and the new slabs(with less tax without deductions) look like a lucrative option. Can we opt for this new scheme for AY 2024-25 onwards?

Do we have any clarification on the above yet?