Presumptive taxation for intraday trading

Hello Team,
Looking for guidance.

Brief profile

1. Income from salary until October 2022.
  2. Income from LTCG
  3. Income from STCG
  4. Income from option trading:-
    Turnover more than 2 crores
    Profits of more than 8% of turnover

Question:- under what section return can be filed?

Can I opt presumptive tax scheme u/s44AD?
OR
44AD is only for turnover upto 2 crores even for FnO traders ?
Some of my friend said for FnO trader theblimit for presumptive is 10 crore turnover?
If presumptive is opted what’s the income that needs to be shown?
8% or 6% since it’s all digital?
What deduction/expenses can be claimed in this case?
Car depreciation purchased two years ago but never claimed? If yes at what %
Laptop purchase?

Thanks much

Hi @Rishu.dhawan03

The due date to file an Income Tax Return for individuals without tax audit for FY 2021-22/ AY 2022-23 was 31 July 2022.
However, you can still file a belated return under section 139(4). Since you have income from salary & FnO trading, you must file ITR 3.

Here’s a read on Which ITR Form Number to Fill? - Learn by Quicko for your reference.

A business including F&O trading with a turnover of up to INR 2 Crore can opt for presumptive scheme of taxation under Section 44AD and since F&O trading is conducted digitally you can report profit at 6% of turnover. The turnover calculation for F&O is different though, which can be read from here: Tax on F&O - Futures and Options Trading - Learn by Quicko

Read about the Expenses a Trader Can Claim in ITR - Learn by Quicko

Rate of depreciation as per income tax act for laptop is 40%.

Hope this helps!

Hi Team, Last year i have filed ITR 4 for FNO trading (Turn over - 1.1 Cr, Profit -7 L). This Year my Turn over is 2.5 Cr and profit is 9.5 L. This year i cannot file ITR 4 due to Turn over above 2 Cr so i have to file ITR 3. Is Tax audit applicable to me?

Hi @Dileep_Kulhari

ITR 4 is filed when an individual has opted for a presumptive taxation scheme under Section 44AD, Section 44ADA, or Section 44AE of the Income Tax Act.

However, if the turnover of the mentioned business exceeds INR 2 crores (INR 50 lakh in the case of professionals), the taxpayer will have to file ITR 3, as you cannot opt for presumptive taxation anymore.

Moreover, as per section 44AD of the Income Tax – 5 Year Rule rule, if a taxpayer opts for the presumptive taxation scheme in a financial year, he/she should opt for it for the next 5 financial years continuously. However, if the taxpayer fails to do so, he/she would not be able to take benefit of the presumptive taxation scheme for the next 5 financial years. Hence, a tax audit is applicable in such a scene.

Read more about Tax Audit under Section 44AB of Income Tax Act - Learn by Quicko

Hope this helps.

If a taxpayer opt out the presumptive taxation scheme due to turn over above 2 Cr,

1. is tax audit applicable to him ?
  2. can he take benefit of presumptive taxation scheme next year if turn over below 2 Cr ?

Hi @Dileep_Kulhari

As said above as well, according to section 44AD of the Income Tax – 5 Year Rule rule, if a taxpayer opts for the presumptive taxation scheme in a financial year, he/she should opt for it for the next 5 financial years continuously. However, if the taxpayer fails to do so, he/she would not be able to take benefit of the presumptive taxation scheme for the next 5 financial years. Also, a tax audit becomes mandatory in the year in which the rule was not followed. So, if the taxpayer opts out of the presumptive taxation scheme due to the turnover exceeding 2 Cr, then an audit will be applicable to the taxpayer.

1 Like

Hello Team…
Hoping to get some relief in this chaos.

I have made some 4L income from offline tutoring. Most of it is cash of which have deposited 3L in bank.
From oct to dec, had broken some FDs in parents account, and used it along with my deposited income for equity trading through my demat account. Resulted in 80K loss (20k loss from Intraday, and 60K from delivery). Have withdrawn all money from equity and invested in FDs (different accounts - totalling 7lakh, including a 1.5L tax saver FD.)

Now what I understand is that just because of Intraday loss, I have to include it in speculative loss under Business Head and since it’s a loss, I might need to go for tax audit.

Is there any way to avoid it. Should I show profit on intraday above 6% in speculative income tab under profits from business head (despite broker statement showing loss) or should I show my taxable income less than 2.5L (by including deduction and short term capital loss on delivery trades) to avoid tax audit.

FYI Previously had filed ITR 1 for three years to get some refund of quiz/freelancing income in college days.

Will be extremely thankful for your help…

Hi @Shivam

The conditions for a tax audit are mainly dependent on the trading turnover.

For trading turnover up to Rs. 2 crore,

• Tax Audit as per Sec 44AB(e) is applicable if there is a loss or profit is less than 6% of Trading Turnover, total income exceeds the basic exemption limit and the taxpayer has opted out of presumptive taxation scheme in any of the previous 5 years.
  • Tax Audit is not applicable if the profit is more than or equal to 6% of Trading Turnover.

Read more about Tax Audit under Section 44AB of Income Tax Act - Learn by Quicko

Hope this helps.

Hi Shrutika, I am really thankful for your response. I have some doubts.

I only made minor intraday transactions, turnover 42000 and loss 28000. While filing the Excel sheet for ITR 3 available on IT website, I put my professional income under Section 44ADA and Intraday Loses in Sl no. 65 of P&L schedule (for speculative income), Since I am claiming profits from professional income around 5Lakh and loses from speculative intraday at 28K (all under presumptive income, no account case )
Will this still require audits? I have attached two images here to make my doubt clear. I will be really grateful if you could check it and help

Also will there be a problem if I simply forgo all intraday loses and don’t report in ITR3. (Don’t wish to carry it forward) ???

Hi @Shivam

Thanks for connecting on Quicko Tax QnA. Your queries seem to be more related to personalized tax planning.
You can book a MEET where a dedicated tax expert can connect with you over a video call, understand your queries, and suggest you the best possible solutions.

Madam i have salary income of 900000, intraday loss of 2500p, can i tske presumptive 44ad, my ca says yes but as i read out, it is not clear, interesf income is 3000. Pls guide

Hi @Shivam_B

Presumptive taxation is a scheme designed to give relief to small taxpayers engaged in a specified profession (i.e., legal, medical, engineering or architectural, accountancy, technical consultancy, interior decoration, or any other profession as notified by CBDT.

If the turnover of any business is less than Rs 2 crore, then they can opt to be taxed presumptively. They must declare profits of 8%/6%, whichever one is applicable.

You can opt for presumptive showing profits at 6% or 8% instead of losses.

Hi @Shivam_B

Yes, you can opt for presumptive taxation if you show profit at 6% of your turnover, instead of losses.

Hope this helps.

Madam in new amended form disclosure of intraday turnover and income has been incorporated for ay 23-24. Can we still show as 6% profit as presumptive scheme if the profit are below 6% and turnover is 160000 or it is now mandarory to show intraday separately and get it audited being profit less than 6%…its little bit now confusing

Below are new guidelines :

Turnover from intraday trading is to be reported separately under Part A- Trading Account

[ITR 3 and 5 ]

The gain or loss arising from intra-day trading, being a speculative transaction, is always taxable under the head’ Profits and Gains from Business or Profession’. ‘Speculative transaction’ means a transaction in which a contract for the purchase or sale of any commodity, including stock and shares, is periodically or ultimately settled otherwise than through actual delivery or transfer of the commodity or scrips

The new ITR forms have been amended to seek separate disclosure related to intraday trading under Part A – Trading Account. The ITR forms seek the following two additional details from the assessee engaged in intraday trading:

(a) Turnover from Intraday Trading; and

(b) Income from Intraday Trading – transferred to Profit and Loss account.

Kindly please update regarding above…shall be obliged

Hi @Shivam_B

Yes, you can still show the intraday income as presumptive in case your profits are equal to or more than 6% of turnover.

The disclosure in the new amended forms is for taxpayers who maintain regular books of accounts.

Hi @Ridhima_Sharma ,

1. By Googling, it is mentioned that ITR4 is used for presumptive taxation. If we are Salaried, get dividend, LTCG and F&O can we opt for ITR3 for presumptive taxation ?
  2. Lets say profits are more than 6% of Turnover (eg 20% of turnover), then should we pay tax on 20% or 6%

Hi @csteja

1. Yes, in case you have capital gains as well, along with presumptive business/profession income, salary, IFOS, you need to file ITR 3.

2. You must declare profits as 6% or actual, whichever is higher, and pay tax on the same.

1 Like

@Shrutika_Shah ,
regarding pt 2,
I read the article, but I fail to understand if my profits are 20% of turnover and I pay taxes on the same, what is the benefit of presumptive taxation. I am of the opinion that we can save taxes by only showing profits as 6% of turnover. Pls clarify this part.