Do I have to pay tax on IPO Allotment?

We all get excited whenever an IPO is announced in the markets, and the joy of receiving an allotment cannot be compared.

While there might hardly be anyone who doesn’t know what an IPO is, let me briefly explain it once.

An initial public offering (IPO) refers to the process of offering shares of a private company to the public in a new stock issuance. It allows a company to raise capital from public investors.

The general public, like all of us, can apply for an IPO and then the allotment is done.

Do you have to pay tax on IPO Allotment?

So when you get an IPO allotment (wow, someone got lucky), you receive shares of the particular company. But, that is your investment; hence, you don’t have to pay any tax when the shares are allotted to you.

However, when you sell such shares, you’ll have to pay tax on the capital gains.

Tax on capital gains from an IPO

As many IPOs are listed at a good premium, many of us consider booking profits on listing, i.e., selling the shares as soon as they are listed, as this proves to be a good way to earn sizable returns in a short period.

In such a case, as the holding period is less than 12 months, the profits will be classified as short-term capital gains, and tax will be applicable on the same.

There could also be another scenario where you decide to hold the shares for a longer period, as you believe the company will perform well in the upcoming years. If you decide to hold them and sell them after 12 months from the day of allotment, the gains will be classified as long-term capital gains, and those will also be taxable. Below is a table that summarizes the tax rates on long-term and short-term gains.

When do you pay the tax?

Ideally, one should always pay taxes as and when they earn income to avoid last-moment lump-sum tax payments. Moreover, if your tax liability in the entire year exceeds ₹10,000, you are liable to pay advance taxes every quarter by estimating your income.

Say you receive an IPO allotment in TATA Technologies on 29th November and sell the shares on the day of the listing itself to earn those profits. Here, you’ll have to pay short-term capital gains tax at the rate of 15%. As the profits were earned in Q3, advance tax needs to be paid before the due date for Q3, which is 15th December 2023.

You can read the below topic to understand all about advance tax and its due dates.
Advance Tax: Applicability, due date, and more.

Here’s a video for you!

Have questions? Ask em’ below!

Hi, can you clarify one use case, If you sell the IPO allotted shares on the same day of listing , doesnt this become an intraday gain and hence business income?
Technically you were given (aka bought) the shares on that day and you sold it the same day.
Pl clarify

Hello, Surbhi Pal,

My annual income is less than the basic Exemption limit for Individual Person.

IPO short term gain is Rs 90000 in a financial year.

Still I need to pay Advance Tax ?

Please guide

regards
prakash umaretiya
m 9925521206

Hey @Vijay_Sharma,

The shares are usually allotted 1-2 days before the listing day. Hence, it will be regarded as short-term gains and not intraday profits.

Hope this clarifies!

1 Like

Hey @prakash.umaretiya,

One is liable to pay advance tax when their tax liability in the entire year exceeds ₹10,000.
In your case, as the total income is below the basic exemption limit, there will be no tax liability and hence, there’s no need to pay advance taxes.

Hope this helps!

Hi, I was recently allotted an ipo, I want to sell it (within a month). I am currently a student, how much tax to pay on this? And any way to minimize this, I am living with my parents currently. While I do trade share in apps like groww etc.

Any advice?

@TeamQuicko @Divya_Singhvi

Hey @Vijender_Singh,

Yes, as you will be selling the shares within the month, the profits will be regarded as short-term capital gains that are taxable at a rate of 15%.

However, if your total income in the entire year is below the basic exemption limit, that is, ₹2.5 Lakhs, there will be no tax liability.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I am a central government employee, am I eligible to apply for an IPO and sell on the day of listing?

Hey @The_Bin,

Yes, they can apply for IPOs(assuming that you are not involved in the decision-making process of fixation of the price of an Initial Public Offering or Follow-up Public Offering of shares of a Central Public Sector Enterprise).

Hope this helps!

My salary is 4.8L , i pay 0 zero taxes in this
And my other than that my ipo income is 80k this month , so now i have to pay taxes ?if yes then On what

Hey @Bharat_Narang,

The listing gains from IPO will be taxable as short-term capital gains at 15%.
However, if you file under the new tax regime, you will be eligible for a tax rebate and hence, there will be no tax liability.

Hope this clarifies.

I have no income and I have listing gains of 25k and sold shares at the same day of listing so do I have to pay short term tax

Hey @Prajwal_Dharme,

As the total income falls below the basic exemption limit of ₹2.5L, there will be no tax liability. However, you should still file your Income Tax Return.