GST was introduced to abolish many other types of taxes and bring the taxation at par with one taxation system for the entire nation.
Also, GST helps in the ease of collection and to enhance the efficiency of the process.
When is it required to be register?
GST registration is required for a business when the turnover crosses 40 lakhs (20 lakhs for North eastern states) from the sale of goods. For businesses in service, the turnover limit is 20 lakhs (10 lakhs for some states).
Additionally, GST registration is mandatory for certain businesses irrespective of the turnover. If the registration is not done, it is considered an offense under the GST Act and hence penalty is levied.
GST Registration is an online process and GST is imposed at every step of the supply network to set off all the available tax benefits.
What are the benefits of GST Registration?
- Simplifies taxation
- Aims at reducing corruption & sales without receipt
What are the documents required?
The documents required for Online GST Registration vary with the type of business. The lists of documents required for GST Registration (based on the type of business) are listed below:-
For a Sole Proprietorship Business
- PAN card of the owner
- Aadhar card of the owner
- Photograph of the owner (in JPEG format, maximum size – 100 KB)
- Bank account details*
- Address proof**
For a Partnership Firm
- PAN card of all partners (including managing partner and authorized signatory)
- Copy of partnership deed
- Photograph of all partners and authorized signatories (in JPEG format, maximum size – 100 KB)
- Address proof of partners (Passport, driving license, Voters identity card, Aadhar card, etc.)
- Aadhar card of authorized signatory
- Proof of appointment of authorized signatory
- In the case of LLP, registration certificate / Board resolution of LLP
- Bank account details*
- Address proof of principal place of business**
For a HUF
- PAN Card of HUF and the Passport size Photograph of the Karta.
- Id and Address Proof of Karta and Address proof of the place of business.
- Bank Account Details
For a Public or Private Limited Company
- Pan card of the Company
- Certificate of incorporation of Company
- MOA and AOA of the company.
- Identity Proof and address proof of all directors and Authorised signatories of the Company.
- Passport-size photograph of the directors and authorized signatory.
- Copy of Board resolution passed for appointing authorized signatory.
- Details of Bank account opening.
- Address proof of the place of business.