Filing 26QC as tenant if landlord has already paid taxes

I’m an individual tenant who is paying >50000 per month rent to my landlord. My landlord filed taxes by herself on the rental income. I recently got to know that the tenant is supposed to deduct TDS and file it to IT department when the rent is >50000 per month. What shall I do now ?

Hi @Mayukh_Majhi,

If you are paying more than ₹50,000 as rent and the landlord is an Indian resident, you are required to deduct TDS at the rate of 5% on the total rent amount for the whole financial year. Moreover, you will have to pay the TDS and file Form 26QC within 30 days from the end of the financial year.

If you miss the due date a penalty of ₹200 per day is applicable. You can still file the form along with the penalty amount. Also, if your landlord has already paid the taxes and filed the return, they can revise the ITR and claim a refund of the TDS amount.

Hope this helps!