GST for online services

Hi,

I have started a website where we sell online courses? Turnover is much much lower than 20 lakhs… Do I need to get a GST registration?

Thanks

Hello @Ashwin1

GST registration becomes mandatory when your turnover exceeds the threshold limit of INR 20 lakhs. Since your turnover does not exceed this limit, GST registration is not required in your case.

Hope this helps!

Hi,

Does selling courses on my own website online equal to eCommerce operations? And if i am classified as an e-commerce operator, does it then become mandatory for me to get a GST registration irrespective of my turnover?

Thanks

Hello @Ashwin1

For e-commerce operators, specific categories such as passenger transport services and restaurant services have mandatory registration requirements. Since your services do not fall within these categories and your turnover does not exceed INR 20 lakhs, you are not obligated to register for GST.

Hope this clarifies!

Hi,

Sorry for another clarification question.

I am a bit confused only because when I read articles on this on google- it’s says all online service providers are required to take gst registration. I called the GST helpdesk- they said to take the GST registration but when I mentioned own website - they were not sure.

Main points are-

• It is my own website.
  • Selling online courses to students.
  • Payment recieved directly to me through payment gateway stripe.
  • Turnover is only in thousands (much lower than 20l threshold)
  • Services are both interstate intrastate since it is online website.

Can you confirm whether GST registration is required or not?

Thanks

Hey @Ashwin1

Under section 9(5) of the CGST Act, e-commerce operators are mandated to register for GST if they provide the following services:

• Passenger Transporttation Servies
  • Accommodation Services
  • Housekeeping Services
  • Restaurant Services

In your situation, since you are offering online courses, that do not fit into any of the categories mentioned above, you are not required to register for GST on a mandatory basis.

Hope this clarifies your doubts!