How to carry forward capital losses?

I made a short term loss on equity shares, how do I carry it forward - so I can set it off against future gains ?

Hey Krutarth,

In respect of any capital loss incurred by you, you have to show the same in your return of income to carry forward. Note that loss can be carried forward only when return has been filed on or before the due date.
The remaining balance of the loss can be carried forwarded to the next 8 financial years.

  • Short term capital loss can set off against both Long term and short term capital gains income
  • Long term capital losses can only be set off against long term capital gains income
1 Like