I received this SMS from Income Tax for non-filing of ITR. What should I do?

Does the below message look familiar to you?

Attention RAJU KUMAR (XXXXX2220X) As per information available in your case on Compliance Portal of the Income Tax Department, you were supposed to file your ITR for A.Y. 2023-24 but the same has not yet been filed. Please file your ITR or submit online response under “e-Campaign” tab on “Compliance Portal”. After login to the e-filing Portal (https://www.incometax.gov.in), go to “Pending Actions” tab and click on “Compliance Portal”. On Compliance Portal, navigate to “e-Campaign tab” and view campaign type “Non filers” to submit response. Please ignore if ITR has already been filed. - Income Tax Department.

If you’ve recently received an SMS from the Income Tax department nudging you to file your Income Tax Return (ITR), it’s not just a casual reminder. This message indicates that your income has surpassed the ₹2.5 lakh threshold or that there are notable transactions present in the Annual Information Statement (AIS).

What is AIS?

The AIS is a detailed record summarising your financial activities throughout the fiscal year. It includes various monetary transactions, such as interest accrual, dividends, securities dealings, mutual fund transactions, and particulars related to overseas remittances.

Here’s how you can view your AIS on the Income Tax Portal.

What should you do?

Here’s a step-by-step guide on what to do next:

1. File your ITR: Time to roll up your sleeves and get your ITR in order. Don’t let the calendar slip your mind – the due date for belated returns is 31st December 2023.
  2. Respond on the e-filing portal: Once you’ve successfully filed your ITR, log in to the e-filing portal. Navigate through Pending Actions > Compliance Portal > e-Campaign > Non-Filers. Since you have already filed your return, select the “ITR has been filed” response, provide the acknowledgement number & date of filing and submit.

:bulb:The last day to file a belated return for AY 2023-24 is 31st December 2023.

3 Likes

I find a few entries on my AIS that either erroneous or don’t belong to me - how do i eecert to the department to remove/upsate

[quote=“tushar1957, post:2, topic:5573, full:true”]
I find a few entries on my AIS that either erroneous or don’t belong to me - how do i revert to the department to remove/update the same . Thanks

Hey @tushar1957,

You can submit feedback on the compliance portal. You can follow the below steps:

1. Log in to the Income Tax Portal.
  2. Go to AIS tab > AIS.
  3. On each information detail, the feedback options will be visible. You can only choose one of the available choices for your feedback.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank you Surbhi​:+1:t4::pray:t2:

1 Like

@Surbhi_Pal1 Interestingly enough I found this same sms on my number, but with my mother’s name - this is weird as my mother is homemaker and did not require filing ITR till now.
could i be getting this sms if my mother’s name is there in any property or such transaction which involves me as well?

Hey @AG17,

You can log in to both your and your mother’s income tax accounts. You can then go to AIS tab and verify the transactions that are reflected there. You have an option to provide feedback where you can accept or deny the information. If the information is legit, and if you are eligible to file an ITR, you can proceed with the same.

Hope this clarifies.

1 Like

Hi I applied total quantity of shares in buy back once they debited all from Special a/c of CC then credited back deducting remaining shares after few selected in Buy back it is d normal procedure, but in AIS these transactions consider as sale & buy entries and send high value transaction alerts, so can I give feedback as ‘transfer not in d nature of Sale’ or ‘Income is not taxable’ which one is correct? please suggest me

Hey @guru_shekhar,

You can provide the feedback as “transfer not in the nature of sale”.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks for answering.

I also received this and then filed return on 30th december. And ITR processed on 31st december. But i have’nt replied to this non-filer compliance response and AIS on salary part in ecompliance portal. Is that mandatory to reply in ecompliance since its in pending status. As they sent in sms Ignore it if filed.

Hello @Rajesh_K

We recommend to reply to that pending action.

Since you had not filed your ITR previously and you have filed it then, you can just provide the acknowledgement number and date of filing while submitting the response.

Hi @Surbhi_Pal /Team,
Could you please reach out to me via email? I have a pressing concern related to my incorrect ITR filing that I’ve been trying to resolve for years with the assistance of my CA, but with no success. I would greatly appreciate your opinion on this matter.

They offer personalised consultation through Online tax filing and planning consultation | MEET by Quicko

1 Like

Hey @stonelazy,

You can book a MEET or email us at help@quicko.com so that our team can get in touch with you.