Is filing gst10 form and paying the penalty will it finally close gst

My father closed the business in 2018 . But the gst was not filed after March 2018 . And have been receiving tax due notice in email every few months . And in August 2022 that the gst was cancelled .

And now We got email notice this month to file gst10 and pay up the penalty if 10k.
Will paying this , will finally close everything related to gst.

My father passed away in 2021 and business gst is registered under my mother’s name .

@Muskan_Balar
@Shrutika_Shah

Hello @Merciless_juggler,

A final return GSTR-10 needs to be filed when the GST number is cancelled or surrendered. After filing GSTR-10 your GST number will be cancelled and it will close everything. You will have to file all the GST returns applicable till the time GST number is cancelled. There is late filing fees and penalties for not filing the GST returns on time.

Hope this clarifies!

1 Like

Even if is there is no business after March 2018 , what returns need to be filed?
How to proceed with this

Thanks for answering

Hello @Merciless_juggler,

In case of no business, Nil return has to be filed. Since your GST number is cancelled in August 2022, you can connect with your GST officer to know how you can proceed ahead.

I have filed my gstr10 and also paid the fine of 10k in 2020. When I go to GST portal it still shows my GST number as valid and with my other details. How do I stop this?

Hello @Silvio,

You can check in the profile if the GSTIN status is showing as cancelled. If not, you can connect with your jurisdictional officer for the same.

I hav applied application for gst cancellation… now i recieve a notice to pay late fine of rs 120… now i want to know how to make payment and reply the notice

Hello @bijay_kumar

To settle late fees, login to the GST portal and go to Services > Payments. Create a new challan to enter the late fee amount according to the categories CGST, SGST, and IGST. Once the amounts are entered proceed with the payment process. After completing the payment, the portal will retrieve the challan details and offset it against your notice.