NPS: What is the withdrawal process and tax benefits?

We have already briefed about the NPS(National Pension Scheme) and its types in a previous thread that you can read here!

Now, we’re diving into the practical aspects: how to withdraw your NPS funds and the tax implications and benefits.

What are the rules for NPS withdrawals?

As NPS is a retirement benefit, funds can be withdrawn after the age of 60 years.

• At age 60, you can withdraw up to 60% of your accumulated corpus, and this part is tax-free.
  • You must retain a minimum of 40% of your investment to receive a pension, which will be taxable as “income from other sources”.

However, in some cases, withdrawal of funds is also allowed before the age of 60.

• If you’ve diligently invested for at least 3 years, you can consider early withdrawals.
  • Early withdrawals(partial Withdrawal), up to 25% of your corpus, can be made for specific reasons, including:
    • Education Expenses
    • Child’s wedding
    • Home purchase or construction
    • Medical emergencies
  • A maximum of 3 early withdrawals are permitted, with a mandatory 5-year gap between each.

The early withdrawal process only applies to Tier I account as Tier II account allows the withdrawal of the entire investment without any conditions and the same are taxed as capital gains.

What sweetens the deal with NPS? Tax benefits, of course.

If you’re a salaried individual, you can claim the following deductions, if you invest in NPS

Category Section Tax Benefits
Own Contribution Section 80CCD(1) 10% of Salary up to INR 1.5 lakh
Employer Contribution Section 80CCD (2) 10% of the salary (other employees)
14% of the salary (central govt. employees)
Additional Contribution Section 80CCD(1B) Additional deduction of up to INR 50,000.

Don’t worry, even if you are a self-employed individual, you are still eligible for the above deductions except for deduction u/s 80CCD (2).

A key consideration: The tax benefits are available only in the case of the Tier I account and not in the Tier II account.

Still have doubts? Ask em away!

1 Like

in some cases, withdrawal of funds is also allowed before the age of 60.

What are some/any rules/conditions applicable here?

Hey @WileECoyote,

Below are the conditions if you wish to withdraw funds before the age of 60.

• Early withdrawals, up to 25% of your corpus, can be made for specific reasons, including:
    • Education Expenses
    • Child’s wedding
    • Home purchase or construction
    • Medical emergencies
  • A maximum of 3 early withdrawals are permitted, with a mandatory 5-year gap between each.

Hope this clarifies!

If the withdrawal is done( maximum of 3 early withdrawals) - what are the tax implications for this?

Hey @WileECoyote,

There will be no tax liability on the amount withdrawn.

I always wondered if there’s a way to increase this limit of deductions greater than 1.5L u/s 80C … Is it possible? If so then how can one do it?

Hi @Swaraj_Mangaonkar

There are certain deductions that you can claim by Investing in NPS (National Pension System)

1. The contribution to NPS is deductible up to Rs 1,50,000 under section 80CCD(1).
  2. Over and above you can further claim the additional benefit of Rs 50,000 under section 80CCD(1B).

So, overall you can reduce your taxable income by Rs 2,00,000.
And one can report deductions under section 80C while filing an ITR.

Hope it helps.

1 Like

May I know how does NPS works? And its investment process?

Hello @Jigar_Marvaniya

The primary goal of NPS is to provide pension after retirement (saving plan).

• An individual holding an NPS account have to make a minimum contribution of Rs. 1000 P.A in tier 1 account.
  • It matures when you turn 60.
  • You can withdraw up to 60% of the amount (corpus) tax-free, when you are invested till retirement.
  • The remaining money, ideally 40% of the total invested amount, should be used to buy an annuity plan, to get a lifelong pension.

NPS accounts are of two types, tier I account and tier II account.
The tax benefits are only applicable to tier-I accounts.

There are multiple PFMs, Investment options (Auto or Active), and four Asset Classes i.e. Equity, Corporate debt, Government Bonds, and Alternative Investment Funds.

Here is an article to know more about it and the process details.

Hope we have addressed your query.

As it is known, the maximum amount of deduction that can be claimed under section 80C is 1,50,000, then if I invest in NPS say, 1.5L & in ELSS 2L, what would be the deduction amount that can be availed?

@Muskan_Balar Can I invest only in Tier 2 NPS and not Tier 1 ? May I know the comparison between Tier 1 and Tier 2 account?

Hi @akash_jhaveri

You can open the NPS Tier II account only when you already have a Tier I account.

• Tier 1 account is mandatory to open, while tier 2 is voluntary and can only open by members of tier 1.
  • In tier 1, withdrawal is restricted, whereas in tier 2 subscribers are free to withdraw at any time.
  • Only tier 1 account members are eligible for tax benefits.
  • Minimum contribution for account opening in tier 1 is Rs. 500 and in tier 2 is Rs. 1000.
  • Minimum NPS contribution in a financial year Rs. 500 towards tier 1 account and Rs. 250 towards tier 2 account.
  • Taxation on withdrawal for tier 1 - entire corpus is tax-exempt, at maturity. For tier 2 - One may withdraw the entire corpus, which is added to income and taxed according to the tax bracket they are in.

Hope this helps.

@Muskan_Balar I need to do tax planning with support for 2023-2024, I have a small investment in stocks. Any guidance you may extend. Not sure if we have platform to connect 1-1. Regards

Hi @Sanjay_S

Thanks for connecting on Quicko Tax QnA. Your queries seem to be more related to personalized tax planning.
You can book a MEET where a dedicated tax expert can connect with you over a video call, understand your queries, and suggest you the best possible solutions.

Main el self employed hoon,business karta hoon. Main 80c na pura amount 150000/- invest karta hoon insurance and ppf milake. Kya main NPS main invest kar sakta hoon additional tax benefit ke liye? Pls thoda section ke saath bataye ma’am.

Hello @nazmul,

You can save ₹50,000 under section 80CCD(1b) over and above section 80C by investing in NPS.

Read more on 80CCD(1b).

Thank u for replying me. Maam mujhe kya Tier-1account main hi invest karna hoga 80CCD(1b) ke benifit ke liye? Minimum 500/- se hi account open karna hoga ya 50000/ ek bar main invest kar sakte hai har financial year main?

Hey @nazmul,

You need to have a tier 1 account to claim the deduction u/s 80CCD(1b). Moreover, yes, you can make the payment in lumpsum as well.

Hope this helps.

Now the age 66+ want to invest in NPS Scheme for get tax benefits. If it possible to invest then how much upcoming year invest to continue?

Hey @nazmul,

The age limit for investing in NPS has been increased to 70 Years. You can continue investing up to 75 years of age.

Hope this helps!