Received Tax demand notice even after paying additional tax

Hi,

I filed my tax via quicko. After processing I received a email from income tax stating i need to pay additional 220 RS. I paid that as well. After several months i received a mail stating i didn’t pay 220RS and additional 6 rs interest also they are asking me to pay. I raised a grievance in their portal. Below is their response and I’m not able to understand what they are telling. Pls clarify what needs to be done here.

" Greetings from Income Tax Department Helpdesk .

Issue Description: Hi, I received a demand for 220 Rs/-. I paid the demand immediately via online mode and uploaded the challan to income tax portal. Today I received a mail stating demand is not paid and additional interest is laid on that amount. Kindly pls correct the error in the system. Attached the challan as proof here.

Resolution: Dear Taxpayer, you are requested to fill the details of payments in Sch. IT/Tax payment along with AT/SAT payment details and file the revised return u/s 139(5). For any assistance on accessing the website please contact us on 1800 103 0025, 1800 419 0025, 8046122000 or 8061464700."

Hi @pushpasooraj

Can you please Submit a ticket : Help Center so that one of our team members can get in touch with you for the same?

Hi,

I got the exact same reply. I am also in the same boat but for a higher amount 2580/- even though I paid it immediately.

Could you please let me know next step on how to proceed?

Thanks,
Vinodh

Hi @Vinodh_Kumar_Reddy

I’d request to Submit a ticket : Help Center so that one of our team members can get in touch with you for the same.

You have to revise and file your IT again and while filing you have to adjust the amount accordingly with respect to the notice you received initially.

I had an outstanding demand for rs 4300 . I paid the amount and added the challan in itr. 2 month passed but its status was still showing payment pending.The total demand amount is still there and interest is also being charged even the amount is updated and showing in 26as. I gave a grivence to itr for which i got a reply as

Resolution: Dear Taxpayer, you are requested to fill the details of 400 payments in Sch. IT/Tax payment and file online rectification by log on to www.incometax.gov.in→ Go to services→ Rectification. For further assistance, kindly contact us on 1800 103 0025, 1800 419 0025, 8046122000 or 8061464700.

Kindly clarify this

@Bharti_Vasvani if you can help here.

Hello @akrit,

In case of outstanding demand, tax has to be paid under minor head 400> Regular assessment and response has to be submitted by logging on to the income tax website that the demand is paid and providing challan details along with that.

Hi,

I did the same and yet the reply from grievance was same as above i.e to “Dear Taxpayer, you are requested to fill the details of payments in Sch. IT/Tax payment along with AT/SAT payment details and file the revised return u/s 139(5). For any assistance on accessing the website please contact us on 1800 103 0025, 1800 419 0025, 8046122000 or 8061464700.”" Kindly help

Hi @Mukul_Sharma

Since it is a notice-related query, you can book a MEET and consult with a tax expert to comply with the notice from the Income Tax Department.

Hi Pushpa , Did you got the issue resolved. if yes can you share the proess.

After paying the challan you have to refile the IT return with the new taxable amount and tax amount paid.

hi Pushpa,

Thanks for the reply.

So i had already payed the amount and challan was generated. but still it was showing the outstanding amount.

Now do i have to again pay the amount plus the interest and refile the IT return with the new taxable amount and tax amount paid?

or

Refile the IT return with the new taxable amount and tax amount paid?

If u had paid the chellan on time then no need to pay again. Just refile the IT.

Kindly say how to refill, couldn’t find any option

Hey @Anilkumaar_v_r,

The due date to file a revised ITR u/s. 139(5) has expired. However if you have made the payment for demand on time then you can raise a rectification request by adding that challan details in the ITR. Additional interest on demand is not required to be paid.

Hope this helps!

I responded to outstanding demand, with disagreeing with it, however I paid the challan as the due date was close and requested for a refund with the challan ID. But there’s no response and now and it says “No records of outstanding demand found” should I raise a rectification request or file a revised return?

Hey @Saurabh_Singh,

This is a situation faced by several taxpayers. Now, as you have already responded to the demand by disagreeing with it, you will not be able to see any records under “outstanding demand”.

For the tax that you paid, you can file a revised return before 31st December to claim it as a refund.

If you need our help in filing the revised return, we have a team of tax experts who can assist you in the same. You can Book a MEET using the below link:

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help @Surbhi_Pal I raised a grievance and got this reply:
“Dear Taxpayer, it is brought to your notice that, once the payment collection details are received in CPC credit will be given automatically and demand will be reduced.”

Should I still file a revised return? If I file, will I get a refund for only the correction which was half the amount? or will I get a full refund which is the correction amount + the demand I paid?

For example: the mismatch was for 15000. I got a demand of 7500 while I was supposed to get 7500 refund. So now that I have paid the demand, will I recieve 15000? will I have to do anything else when I file a revised return?

Hey @Saurabh_Singh,

You can file a revised return and include the details of all the challans that were paid by you. When the return gets processed, you should receive the entire amount i.e. 15,000 as a refund.

Hope this helps!