Revise or Rectify an Income Tax Return?

Taxpayers are mostly confused about the fact when to revise the return or when to file rectification. All taxpayers have the option to revise the return or file rectification if any mistake or omission is discovered in the original return.

Why Rectify?
There might be instances where a taxpayer receives a demand for the previous AY or his income tax portal dashboard shows some outstanding tax liability. In such a case, the taxpayer can file a rectification request.

Rectification of an ITR is different from filing a revised return.

Rectification: The ITD has given taxpayers an option to amend & correct the mistakes which are apparent from the record in an ITR, informed to the taxpayer by an intimation issued u/s 143(1) by the CPC or an order passed u/s 154 by the AO.

Revise: A revised return u/s 139(5) allows to correct any error or omission of facts made at the time of filing the original ITR.

Points to be noted:

• A rectification request can be submitted only for returns that are already processed by CPC.
  • Only those mistakes can be rectified which are traceable from documentary records.
  • Both a revised return and rectification can be filed online only if the original return was filed online.

Types of errors for Rectification Requests & Revise Return reasons

Only mistakes that are apparent from the records are considered for rectification, such as:

1. Total tax liability
  2. Gross Total Income
  3. Total Deductions
  4. Personal Information

Whereas changing bank account or address details in an ITR, or any other mistake on a taxpayer’s part can be corrected with a revised return.

Conclusion

If a mistake is discovered in the submitted ITR, you can submit a revised return till the due date to file a return has not lapsed.

The rectification request service can be used on the e-Filing portal only against an order/notice from CPC.

Engage in the conversation for any similar thoughts, doubts or queries!

Book a MEET and let the experts handle your taxes!

1 Like

Hi,
My original return was e-verified.
Then I found some mistake and revised it.
Later I thought I had to disclose the gifts I received at my wedding, so made another revision by including those under exempt income.
Today few people told me that wedding gifts need not be disclosed. Hence I revised again by removing the exempt income.
By now I’ve made many revisions.
Which one would be considered for evaluation?
Also, would there be any consequences?

Hi @Sanjay_Adithya

The last revised return which you submitted (e-verified) as well will be considered.
Also, there are no consequences of revising any number of times.

1 Like

Understood.
Thank you very much @Shrutika_Shah :relaxed:

1 Like

Hello @TeamQuicko

I wanted to know till when we are allowed to revise a return for a particular financial year. Like if i want to revise return for previous FYs, can it still be done?

If not, what is the way to report any missing income for previous FYs?

Thank you.

Hi @Nyk

The last date for filing a revised ITR is December 31 of the relevant assessment year.
You can revise your return for FY 2022-23/AY 2023-24 till 31 December 2023.

For the previous year, you can file an ITR U (updated return) to report all the missed things.