Taxation for HUFs | Is clubbing applicable

Thank you @Surbhi_Pal for the answer.

Consider a scenario where in I form an HUF for my family and, me and my wife contribute say 1 lakh each as a capital to HUF. I understand the clubbing provisions will come into effect. Now say those 2 lakh earns 1 lakh and gets reinvested and earns another 1 lakh(i.e. 3 lakh earning 1 lakh). Now from income tax point of view, this profit of 1 lakh is taxable in the hands of Me, My wife and HUF equally. Is my understanding correct? If yes, is it the same applicable to NRI families?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: How to save taxes using HUF?

Hi,

My grandfather-in-law (80 year old) has an HUF account in which he is the Karta and his wife and daughter-in-law are the only other members (his son passed away last year). In case something were to happen to him, who can now become the Karta of this HUF? I want to be prepared for this eventuality in advance and take actions now in case this creates complications later. Can you please advice on who can become the Karta after him? Also, what sort of documentation would be required in advance for this?

Hi @VirajGada

In this case, you can take advice from a legal professional.

We will be able to help you with your tax-related queries.

@Shrutika_Shah
@Sakshi_Shah1
@Bharti_Vasvani

HUF is having business profession of share-market !

HUF is paying salary to the “Karta” ! and HUF is claiming it as business expenses in the books of accounts .

Query :

can HUF also pay : food bills , clothes bills , life insurance . Mediclaim insurance ; etc ;: of and for “KARTA” and claim as business expenses ?

Hi @HIREiN

You can only claim expenses that are wholly and exclusively incurred for the share market business.

Hello @Shrutika_Shah

What about if I transfer shares from my account to HUF? any tax liability?

Hey @Punit_T,

As you are a member of the HUF, any shares that you transfer to the HUF in the form of a gift will not be taxable in the hands of the HUF. However, when the shares are sold, the capital gains will be clubbed with your income.

Hope it helps!

testDoes interest free loan or loan at .5% to huf attract clubbing provisions. Loan provided by karta

Hey @Vineet,

When an HUF is formed, the members can pool capital in the HUF and transfer money as a gift. Gifts from members are exempt in the hands of the HUF and the HUF can use this capital to generate income, clubbing will not be applicable here. You can provide loans to the HUF as well, but in that case It is not ideally recommended to give interest-free loans. You can charge a minimum interest as prescribed by the RBI.

Hope this helps!