Taxation on Stocks, mutual funds and bonds

What is the taxation for NRI clients in stocks trading, F&O trading, mutual funds and bonds?

Hey @Gopi_Kiran,

The taxation for NRI is similar to residents in the case of trading and the above-mentioned investment avenues. Here are a few reads for you that elaborate on the same!

Hi @Surbhi_Pal

  1. Are there options to reduce/avert LTCG on Equity based Mutual Funds by transferring the redeemed value as a GIFT to a family member ?

  2. Can investing the capital gains into REC, PFC, IRFC, and NHAI within 6 months lead to a tax exemption on all capital gains ?

Please share your expert opinion.

Hey @Pri_200892,

With regard to your Queries,

  1. Once there is LTCG on mutual funds, the same will be taxable for you even if you transfer the redeemed amount as a gift to a family member.

  2. Yes, however, there are certain limitations. You can read in detail about investment in NHAI/REC bonds here!

Hi Community, I would like to know tax treatment on following case:

A listed bond was purchased on market premium @ 1500/- INR from secondary market in a financial year. Face value of the bond is 1000/- INR and interest will be paid at the maturity (i.e. cumulative). The bond was held till maturity, and it matured in the same financial year. Cumulative interest earned was 600/- INR. A TDS of 60/- INR was deducted from the interest. Total 1540/- INR (1000/- INR plus 540/- INR) were received at maturity.

Particularly, I want to know that I will be taxed on 600/- INR or 100/- INR [600/- INR minus 500/- INR (premium paid to the seller)]. Also, how to show it in ITR-2.

Hey @shiv_gupta,

The interest received will be taxed as “income from other sources”, the TDS on which is already deducted.

Moreover, after deducting the interest received, the value of the bond remains ₹1000. Hence, as the bond was purchased at ₹1500, you can claim a loss of ₹500 and file ITR 2 for capital gains from the bonds.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank You @Surbhi_Pal. Yes It helped.

Hi @Surbhi_Pal , is it possible to claim 500/- INR in expenses under sec 57?

Hey @shiv_gupta,

No, section 57 is not applicable in this case. Hence, you cannot claim the ₹500 as an expense.

1 Like

Thank you @Surbhi_Pal for quick response.